The Ordination

Detail Mother of Deacon, Julia and husband Mallory Pearce
Recently completed large painting of the Ordination of the Episcopal Diocese of Georgia. Vivid colors illustrate the ordination of Julia Sierra Wilkinson.
Surrounded by loving friends and family, the Deacon receives a blessing as she kneels before Bishop Scott.

This was the moment of arrival for Sierra and emotionally charged for her mother, my client Ms Pearce.

Read on to see how the painting evolved.
Step 1: reviewing photos thanks to photographer, Julius Ariail.
After much deliberation, I chose a photo of another Deacon in the pose I want.
Week1. I see a cross suggested in the background architecture and decide to use this in my composition.
Week 2: I refine the figures, working to keep the focus on Bishop Scott & Sierra.
Week 3: Making the shadows in Sierras robe rich and relative to the Bishop's elaborate vestments.  I keep Sierra featured but humble, a tricky business, and suggest that Sierra would want her mother included in the painting.
It brings me great happiness to commemorate such a profound moment for this family. From the patron:
"Trudy, The more I look at this painting,the more special it becomes. Thank you." Julia Hill Pearce

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Biography

What I love about your picture is the Gestalt or Gertstalt (ala Steve)