Plein Air & Water Music

Gert painting at the Dragonfly Studio on Tybee IslandGratis Denise Elliot Vernon
Painting En plein air...
What does it mean?
Wikipedia: French for "open air" in painting terms refers to the practice of painting out of doors, a practice that became popular in IMPRESSIONIST painting.


I prefer to paint my landscapes plein air, because I think they are more vibrant. Photo references can't reproduce the intangible and transient events that occur in Life. Yes, it is a hassle coping with the elements, and a bit of a free fall as each circumstance is different depending on your location. But letting go of the cradle is what it is all about for me. Taking risks, letting nature take over, getting out of my own way, allows the power of the moment, chaos and all, to manifest on the canvas. I believe this translates to the patron.
And rest assured, each painting will have a life of its own... a whole new experience.


The painting may take on a narrative quality. As often happens, a passerby relates a story about the place I am painting. Through the eyes of the artist, you inspire a pride of place with residents and townspeople, who see their home with new appreciation...a lovely exchange occurs.
savannah artist paintings

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Biography

What I love about your picture is the Gestalt or Gertstalt (ala Steve)